Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Globes Review

The Globes
11.20.08

Let me start by saying The Globes did a great job picking which track would be first on their new EP. Killers Saints gets right down to business within the first 30 seconds of the song. They have a short instrumental intro then straight into the vocals, it got my attention right away. I dig the unique and smooth voice, upbeat music and its simply put message. //everyone's a problem // everyone's a cause // we wanna know what's wrong with us // It's an easy sing-a-long kind of song that will be happily stuck in the listener's head for days despite the somewhat grim lyrics.

The second track on the disc, The Glower and the fourth The Glass Jar are the mellow, transitional numbers placed between more upbeat ones. The Glower has a long intro that leads into somber, soft vocals. The instrumental intricacies out shine the vocals a bit but judging by the airier tone of the singer, the focus on the music and not the voice was done purposefully. In The Glass Jar the music is effortless and methodical. At 2 minutes there is a dainty climax that leads into a serene instrumental break that goes on for the rest of the song with little spots of soft cooing at the end. Both tunes are very soothing and calm; it's likely that these tracks will end up on my 'mellow' playlist to help me relax.

My favourite track is Hide, it has such a familiar sound to it. I cannot place it for the life of me and as much as that annoys me, it hasn't kept me from really digging this track. // Laaa la lala lalalalaaa // If I had to name my favourite part of this entire EP, it would be those la's sung by what seems a small choir of guys. They're so damn catchy and just, well, fun!

By time you get through this EP you'll notice a trend, upbeat/poppy to mellow/somber. I can't say that I particularly like that; it breaks the disc up a little too much for me. But with that said, I will also say- this is just an EP. I liked each individual song a lot, enough that I am pretty excited to hear what the full-length sounds like.

Favourite track: Hide : Track 3
Rating: 2 1/2 out of 4
Reviewed by: Jacquee Sovereign

No comments: