Thursday, December 4, 2008

capitol hill block party 08

Capitol Hill Block Party 2008

Friday

U.S.E
I only caught the tail end of this set, but the part that I caught was just as glitter and smiles as I remember USE being in shows past. I just wish I was a part of the dance party longer!

Girl Talk
Ok, so I wasn't really sure about some of those kids dancing on stage. Did anyone else thing this girl in the green and white stripped shirt may have a furture job at Deja Vu? Or how about that really adoreable geeky kid that took off his shirt? OMG, I could not stop going "awww"! The music was fun but watching the 100+ kids crammed on the stage was far more fun, sorry Girl Talk!

Le Savy Fav
Again, I only caught the tail end of this... but the part I saw was the lead singer stripped to a un-buttoned shirt and his breifs! Not the sexiest sight, but definitely fun!

Vampire Weekend
By their set I was exhausted. I love this band, so I stayed and watched their set. They sound great live and played many of my favourite songs! I was happy to finally see them live- and in such a familiar place, Capitol Hill.

Saturday

Kay Kay and his Weathered Underground
Only 10 people spanned the stage this time. By "only" I mean that at past shows they've had as many as 14!
Kay Kay brought their usual progressive, funky, dirty, just plain weird style to the block party's main stage.
This band is definitely breaking some ground amongst the Seattle music scene and they're loved for it.

The Cave Singers
How beautiful was their set? It was awesome. I managed to find this little space at the side of the main stage that let me see the lead singer perfectly. I have seen them before but this was a far better experience- with such a huge crowd-every band was stepping up their game!

Kimya Dawson
She is SO FUNNY! She was really nervous at first and the songs were a little too fast but as the set went on she relaxed and played to the crowd like a pro! She told a few stories, had her brother play a song and had a sing-along with the crowd. Not to mention she had the crowd help with one of her songs "Now boys and girls, what other animals can you think of? ... And what sounds do they make?" It was adorable!

Fleet Foxes
I only saw a few songs by them because I wanted to go in and see Jaguar Love. The few songs I saw were from the same corner I found for the Cave Singers set- great view of a few of the members. However, I had some really annoying people standing really close to me and they were talking SO loudly. I could barely hear the band! I plugged my ear closest to them but it didn't help much. So sadly, I didn't really hear much of the 3 songs I was watching the Fleet Foxes for. Damn loud talkers, go to the back of the crowd!!

Jaguar Love

Holy crap... the first time I saw Jaguar Love at Neumos I was totally blown away and tonight at the Capitol Hill Block Party 2008 was no different.
This mash up of NW talent is on a whole new level than the Blood Brothers or Pretty girls Make Graves ever were (though both were f.cking amazing bands!).
To add to even more to this shinney new outfit- they have Craig Bonich and JC from Head Automatica playing with them!
And can I just say that I cannot get enough of Cody... he's so entrancing when he's on stage. He's a bouncy, sliding, rock-star posing fool! His dancing really is hypnotizing... try not to look.
If you weren't able to catch them at the Capitol hill block party- you can catch them playing an all ages show at the Redmond Firehouse next Saturday, August 2nd!! 8PM $6
Also, for a review of their last homecoming show in June go to the reviews page!

Jaguar Love will be releasing their first full length Take me to the Sea on August 19th through Matador Records- in the mean time you can download their 3 song EP on iTunes or pre order the full length!

I ended my night with... CHROMEO!
Ok, I'll be honest here, I had never actually listened to Chromeo. I know, I know- I'm horrible. I was so surprised at how much I loved them! Their performance was electric and they were fun and you could dance to them. I just really loved it. Guess what album I'm gonna buy next?

After Chromeo I had to go home, I was exhausted. I missed out on Vellela Vellela and Feral Children also- An extra set by kay kay at the Cha Cha after hours.
Its okay though, I had a gerat time and am not really motivated to go to SXSW this year!

-Jacquee
07.27.08

No comments: